After breakfast, departure towards Mtskheta (25 km from Tbilisi).
Jvari Monastery (VI c.), which is located on top of a mountain, from the slopes of which you can see how the jets of two rivers merge – the Kura (Mtkvari) and Aragvi. By 545, a small church was already standing on the “Cross” mountain; now it is in ruins. A larger tetraconch church, consecrated in honor of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, was erected between 586 and 604. Jvari along with the neighboring Zedazeni monastery is considered the scene of Mikhail Lermontov’s poem “The Novice” (“Mtsyri”).
Svetitskhoveli Cathedral – the Patriarchal Cathedral of the Georgian Orthodox Church, in honor of the Twelve Apostles, built in 1010-1029, on the site of the first Christian church in Georgia, built over the grave of St. Sidonia. Known as the burial site of the claimed Christ’s mantle, Svetitskhoveli has long been one of the principal Georgian Orthodox churches and is among the most venerated places of worship in the region.
One of the foundations of the temple was the sacred trunk (cedar), which stood at the burial place of the robe of Christ, by which the temple is named (“Sveti” – pillar, “Tskhoveli” – life-giving).
Svetitskhoveli is recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.
Samtavro Transfiguration Orthodox Church and Nunnery of St. Nino is located at the confluence of the Mtkvari (Kura) and Aragvi rivers. It is believed that the first church on this place was built in the IV century by King Mirian III.
There are many shrines in the Samtavro temple: part of the life-giving pillar, the miraculous icon of St. Nina, the grave of the holy Kings Mirian and Queen Nana, the relics of St. Abibos Nekres, the relics of Saints Shio Mgvime and Gabriel (to which you can venerate, and to acquire healing oil illuminated on his grave), part of the stone from the grave of St. Nina and other relics. In the vicinity of the church is a bramble, where St. Nino preached Christianity.
Dinner in Mtskheta (at your discretion).
Tbilisi sightseeing tour
Rustaveli Avenue – the central avenue, which is named after the medieval Georgian poet Shota Rustaveli.
Freedom Square – located in the central part of Tbilisi.
Betlemi Street – in the historical district “Old Town”, is named after the Upper and Lower Bethlehem churches located here.
Abanotubani (Bath Quarter) – a historical district in the center of Tbilisi, famous for its complex of baths, standing on natural sulfur springs. Baths form a separate quarter of the city, which is a popular place with many tourists.
Maidan – Vakhtang Gorgasali Square, one of the central squares of the Old City, near the border of the historical district of Kala. Metekhi Bridge leads to the square.
Shardeni Street – a pedestrian street in the old part of Tbilisi, one of the main tourist routes.
Shavteli Street – a pedestrian street in the old part of the city, one of the borders of Herakli II Square, a popular tourist route.
Baratashvili Street – one of the central streets of the city, an important transport highway.
The tour ends at Freedom Square.
1 — 2 person: $ 105
3 — 4 person: $ 120
The price includes:
Services of a professional guide;